[Numbers Special] Javier Fernandez on Yuzuru Hanyu (excerpt)


An excerpt of Javi’s interview on his memory at the Olympics games with Yuzu in the upcoming Sports Graphic Number Special.

“He’s truly a warrior from the bottom of his heart”

This is our exclusive interview with Javier Fernandez, who just retired last January after the European Championship on his memory at the Olympic Games with his long-time rival and training mate, who competed together with him in many competitions, Yuzuru Hanyu.

(…) Javier were aware that this is his final competition with Yuzuru Hanyu.

“I informed Yuzu about my retirement just right before the medal ceremony started. I’d been talking about my retirement from time to time so I didn’t think this was a special news. However, regarding someone who competed together with me for so long, again, I wanted to inform him by myself. At that time, Shoma was there too, so I told them altogether: “This is the last time I competed together with you 2. Until now, I’m lucky to be able to compete with you guys. It’s an honor and something I’m heartfully proud of. From now on, I will cheer for you guys from another place.”