[Kiss&Cry(4/2019)] Javier Fernandez on Yuzuru Hanyu

To: Comrade-Hanyu Yuzuru 

Training under coach Brian Orser, and at the same time, competing together with Hanyu Yuzuru, Javier Fernandez has become one of the pioneers of the “Quads era”. What did he tell Hanyu in Worlds 2019’s banquet?
--- 
“In Spain, there were very few skating rinks (literally: can be counted), but right now, there are 18 rinks already! In the recent 3, 4 years, there’ve been 5-6 new rinks. I am very proud.” Spanish skater-Javier Fernandez said emotionally. When he was competing in Junior, there was almost no Spanish skater. However, he has been taken Spanish skating on his shoulder and fought to pull it forward by himself. First, 2 glorious consecutive World titles, then Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Bronze medalist, and his final gold medal at the European Championship, marking his 7thconsecutive victory there, is the final decoration added to his career. 

“Now in Spain, there are 1 000 000 (100 man) people who list skating as their hobby. Skating gains some coverage on media like newspaper, TV, radio…My ice show, “Revolution on Ice”, starring skaters like Evengi Plushenko and Yuna Kim, toured around 5 cities in the country in November 2018, and we had “full-house”- The extraordinary hero flashed an endearing smile.

Javier Fernandez, and Japanese skater-Hanyu Yuzuru were training, competing and learning from one another under the tutelage of Coach Brian Orser, and they were each other’s “worthy rival”. They took memorial photos together at the World Championship 2019. 

“Yuzuru was frustrated, and I can understand.” 

How does Fernandez view Hanyu’s battle at the World Championship? Then, what is the relationship between them? He gave his insight in a gentle tone when he came to Japan to perform for Stars on Ice Japan. 

Q: It’s quite clear that yours and Hanyu’s personality are starkly contrast.
A: Everyone thinks that our personalities are completely different (laugh). However, for us, the most important thing over anything else, is the mutual respect for each other in skating, since we were teammates. For that, we don’t need to be the same, and it’s crucial to keep a so-called “good relationship”. 

Q: Did you introduce Coach Orser to Hanyu-senshu?
A: No, Brian called me, then we scheduled a meeting. He asked me “Do you mind training together with Yuzuru Hanyu?” and I replied “No problem”. From the start, I know that we can maintain mutual respect between us. 

Q: Are there any difficulty in being training mates, and rivals fighting for the top of the world at the same time?
A: We managed to keep our camaraderie, and can be compatible without words. It was a very positive relationship.

Q: In practice, when you came early, jacket on, and were having your coffee, Hanyu-senshu landed a beautiful 3A, then you left your coffee there, jacket off, and went back to skate? 
A: Our rivalry allowed us to push on each other’s abilities. In skating, we had good days and bad days as well, and Yuzuru’s existence was always an incentive. I wouldn’t be discouraged even on days when my training didn’t go smoothly. When I looked at Yuzuru’s effort, I think “I have to train harder”. That’s basically me and Yuzuru. In our case, I think we may not be able to call our relationship “friendship”. (laugh)

Q: Hanyu-senshu has mentioned you in our special feature “Javi’s charm is that he makes everything easy”.
A: I am very thankful to Yuzuru. He is the best skate, and on the ice rink, he is my “comrade”

Q: Did you treat him paella in your mutual training base Toronto?
A: No (laugh). Our relationship is basically restricted to practice and exhibition etc only. We don’t hang out privately. We just lived our own live. 

Q: At Worlds 2019, Hanyu-senshu surpassed 300 points but he finished 2nd. He was quite frustrated but you guys seemed to have a good time at the banquets, judging from the smiley photos.
A: In his skate, Yuzuru fought hard for the result, and I understand that, so I can understand his frustration too. However, I think “He fought hard”.

Q:  What did you tell him?
A: “You put out a great program. You should be proud”. He was only behind Nathan Chen(score). In the SP, he made mistake. He could have been discouraged by that, but he didn’t. He came back from behind. He had shown how strong he was mentally, and he should be proud of that.

Q: How did Hanyu-senshu reply?
A: He said (whiny voice) “I know that~. I understand~, but…” (laugh). He was very frustrated. Something like “If I had done something more, I could have done it”. I can understand that feeling.
---
Fernandez spoke in a gentle manner. Once a competitor for the top of the world, he expressed his thoughts about his worthy rival. Or probably, those could be well-wishes?

“Figure skating is a tough battle, but challenges are always interesting. I want to pray for his happiness.” While looking back on the “battle field”, Javier Fernandez sent his encouragement to his “comrade”.