[Sportiva(4/2019)] Mai Mihara: Pursuing “myself”

Sportiva 2018-2019 Japan Figure Skating Collection (2019/4/4)
Season playback: Mai Mihara: Pursuing “myself”
Text by Oriyama Toshimi-Photo by Noto Sunao

The more you know, there was a feeling that in this season it was vital to keep a strong mind. 
In order to break out from her own “shell”, she continues challenging.
With an eager heart always searching for more (inquiring mind), she will certainly remain highly active next season. 

Last season, she challenged “Tango”. There was regret but at the end of the season, at 4CC and Coupe du Printemps, she managed to score over 210 points. Mai Mihara said “I was able to pull acceptable performances”. This season, both SP and FS programs’ music choices were her strength-relaxing music, but since she gained experience from doing “Tango”, her expression seemed to sharpen, and so did her responsiveness (to audience/aura etc). This season, in major competitions, she skated clean and surpassed 200 points, and remained consistent. However, in the Japan National Championship, she missed the shortlist of World Championship representatives, finishing at 4thplace. 

“I have thought to myself “I need to try a little bit more”, but I couldn’t help thinking that there’re minor mistakes somewhere, and that somehow affected my feelings.”-she pondered.

“The seasons before my (first) World Championship, I continued living without actually knowing of scary things, but now, I’ve known many things. When I start to be more aware of other skaters, I usually question “Is it okay?”, and it appears that I (unconsciously) reveal the negative part (of myself), so in order to eliminate (that negativity), I must keep a strong mind. In the latter half of the season, I didn’t make too many mistakes in my FS, and (my elements) also received (positive) GOE, so I would like to keep that mentality, and I want to continue strengthening myself”.

In the GP series’ C.o.France, she missed the final 3S in the FS, and if she had successfully landed that jumps, she could have won against Rika Kihira, taken the gold medal, and advanced into the final. It was a frustrating experience for her, but at Japan Nationals and 4CC, she responded determinedly “Towards next season, I want to challenge a lot of jumps, but right now, I’m aiming for perfection (in my programs)”. 

“To reach the spectators’ heart, skate with a smile, and become a skater who can capture (the audience)”, is Mihara’s biggest goal. For that sake, she states that she wants to break free from the shell of (“Mihara”) who wasn’t successful in challenging “Tango”, and move on to new challenges. 

“In ice shows, I thought if I do the 6-jump combo that no one does, maybe the audience will be happy, so I tried it out. In exhibition, I put a lot of elements like spirals, and twizzles, etc, but for competitive programs, I think there’s not been a program that makes people go “This is Mihara Mai!”, so I must keep thinking and working hard so that I could pursue and meet “myself”/ ”individuality”. 
“For example, since I’m not tall, in the step sequence, I have to move properly with all my body for “big” movement (for greater ice coverage), and when I use my feet, I try not to let my hands look “dead” (lacking in hand movements). I want to work until there seems to be “beam” from my hands” (to attract audience).”

Her programs projects tender, graceful and beautiful skating, but isn’t short of strength, and “Being able to perform to any music genre” is Mihara Mai’s goal for next season.