Cup of Finland Interview (1) Yuzuru Hanyu


  
In his GP debut for this season, Hanyu Yuzuru (23yo, ANA), has set a Word record of 106.69 under the new rules, and now is in the lead (going into FS). Following this is the Q&A with him after the competition. 

Q: Thoughts after your skate?
A: There are still things that I’m not satisfied with. I’ve managed transition and jumps (well), but there is still much I’ve not been able to do.

Q: You landed the 4S
A: In the 6-minute warm up, I managed to land the first jump cleanly, and things gradually fell into place. As for myself, those jumps on ground was good, so I landed them with confidence (in the competition).
  
Q: The 4T3T with base value multiplied by 1.1 was barely put in the second half (after 1minute20seconds mark).
A: I was able to do it. Compared to (what I did) in practice, it was a bit early. We aimed for (doing the combo) at around (1 minute) 23, 24 second of the music. However, my first movement (when competing) was done about 1.5 second later (than my initial intention), so it (the combo) was, perhaps, done around 1m22s or 23s. If I put it in the 2nd half and didn’t land all the jumps, I couldn’t earn (good) PCS than not putting it in. That would be worrying, so right now, I’m satisfied. 

Q: Thoughts regarding your jumps
A: If I jump with peace in mind, I do many other things, like spread eagle entry, but as I prepare for jumps’ take-off, I don’t want to think “I will really land this jump”. I want to take risks as the same time as I jump with peaceful feeling. 

Q: You’ve also said, “artistic expression can’t be neglected”.
A: This time, I put much emotion into the spins. When I entered the step sequence, the atmosphere of the arena was also very supporting. It was fun, and I had good feeling.

Q: Your thoughts when seeing the score.
A: Right now, being able to surpass 100 points is delightful. That was a relief. This is not my best score yet. There is still (the free skate) tomorrow, so I want to compete with revigourated determination.

Q: Your PCS was as high as 9.5 points.
A: I think in this season, if there is any significant error, it’s difficult to earn (good) points. That was what I felt in Autumn Classic. I wonder if was becauserather than being completely dependent on SP’s composition, I wanted to land (all the) jumps.
 --end--