Vogue Girl (March 2019) Kaori Sakamoto

Original article

A Beautiful Skater

Leading the next generation-“Heart-to-heart” (Real) conversation with Kaori Sakamoto

12/2018, Kaori Sakamoto, 18, achieved reversal victory at the Japanese National Figure skating Championship. As we all know, Japanese figure skating is highly competent and competitive, with a team of potential world medal contenders. We’ll look into how this “New Queen” control her “battle”, and what she’s aiming for. This 18-year-old athlete has her heart set on the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. (In this segment), she shows her charming “true face” and the powerful mindset of an athlete.

Reflecting on the reversed victory at Japan Nationals
When I was about to start, I just want it to be over soon. I was quite nervous that I could hear my heart drumming, but I started skating, I skated properly. In the 4-min performance, my feeling changes constantly (literally: rolling, rolling). I was relieved that my 1stjump was successfully landed, but then I was nervous for setting the next jump and was a little bit rushed, but I felt my confidence (against the judges).  

Is it true, about what’s been said, that you’re a genius who could reenact someone’s routine right after watching?
Yes, from when I was little. I don’t think that’s genius, but since I was little, I’m sure that I’m the type of person that remember by “intuition” well. However, since it’s “by intuition”, I (often) forgot right away(laugh). In order to not forget (choreography/performance etc), I repeatedly drilled (practice), so that my body could remember.

In your opinion, what type of skater are you?
Since a long time ago, rather than expression or dancing, which (I consider myself) not good at, I love jumping and spinning. For that reason, I may relate closer with the type of skater that consider FS as a sport rather than artistic figure.

Until when you won Japan Nationals, what was the secret for your artistry improvement?
In my 1styear of Jr. high school, I started taking up ballet, and managed to learn (how to use my arms/) arm movement. Then, dancing. I danced to (many types of music) from gentle to intense music. Until now, I’m still worried my musicality is not strong enough, but it’s gotten better.  

In all competition, is it true that you do your make-up yourself?
That’s right, but doing make-up for eyebrows is hard, so I want to be given some advice from professionals. That’s why it’s nice that I have this shooting opportunity today. I’ve been exchanging information about make-up practice and beauty tools with other athletes, and I try using eye-shadow, even in daily life. From April, I’ll become a university student, so I would like to try out loose perms on my hair, too. I look up to women like Nakajoo Ayami-san (Japanese actress/model).

Your favorite fashion?
I don’t like any brand specifically, and I usually choose clothes that resembles practice gears. However, when thinking about going out, I don’t choose only plain clothes, but also items that are “fashionably cute” like the red dress for today, creating some accent.

About Mihara Mai-senshu training along with you?
I started skating at 4, then Mai-chan joined me. I was just messing around back then, but thanks to Mai-chan, I began taking practicing seriously. It’s been over 10 years (since they started training together), and there are times of victory and defeat, but in private, we maintain good relationship, and having such a great rival nearby makes me much happier. I want both of us to go to Beijing Olympics together. (Juro sobbing)

Anything that is worrying you right now?
I eat a lot in off-season, and gain weight, which leads to knee and foot joints pain, so it’s vital that I keep my weight in control (lose weight). When I was in Jr, I have no patience and ate (not according to diet), but now, I think I will give up eating (freely) until my retirement. To be honest, when I want to reward myself, I still want to eat sweets. (laugh)

Other than dieting, is there any other method for building your body?
When I find out I lack water, I tried to input liquid consciously. For example, every morning, my condition will be better if I have smoothie. I also do aerobic exercises. I’m not good at working out at gym, so I would just run around it. (laugh)

Right now, there’re athletes with quads like the 14-year-old Russians, how do you think about the upcoming wave of the younger generation?
If there’re daring technical contents, the points (drawn from those) will be huge. If their jumps and techniques are not similar to everyone else, so would their score be. Thanks to younger athletes, my determination is fortified. 

Your determination toward 2022 Beijing Olympics?
At the PC Olympics, I didn’t perform perfectly (she was in 6thplace), and that was regrettable. Nevertheless, in that environment, I was able to overcome my own self, and I believe I did become stronger. That’s why I want to go to Beijing Olympics. There’re 3 more years (until 2022), no matter what happens, it’s necessary for me not to be distracted.

How would you make effort to polish your sensitivity and sense?
I wouldn’t only complete my performance. I also go to watch musical and ballet, to research on how to move beautifully.

World Championship is on 3/18, what’s your view right now?
This season, I’m doing routines with mature theme. In the SP, I hope to build the image of a gentle young lady. In contrary, the FS is about striving intensely. Thus, I would be so happy if (the audience) can enjoy the difference in both programs. Please cheer for me at Saitama Super Arena!

Ask Kaori:
-      Nickname by family and friends: Kao
-      Your charming point: Smiley face
-      Favorite thing:Grilled meat
-      Thing you want to try when becoming a university student? Loose perm on my hair
-      Moment that makes you realize you’re an adult? When people a bit older than me are entering clubs.
-      If there’s no practice for 1 week, where would you go? Taiwan
-      Who do you want to meet most at the moment? Ryoma Takeuchi
-      Favorite lip color? Red
-      You’ve said you have “comedic character”, who’s your favorite entertainer? Yoshimoto Shinkigeki’s Shigeo (Japanese comedian)
-      Among Interesting person/nice person/cool person, Which type are you? Nice person
-      How do you reward yourself after winning a competition? Sweet, clothes, meat
-      Who would you switch your closet with? Tetsuko Kuroyanagi
-      What kind of music do you listen to to calm yourself before competing? Back Number, Kenshi Yonezu
-      If you were not a figure skater, what would you be? Swimmer.