Q&A Yuzuru Hanyu ACI19

Source


The reason for skating last season’s program again?

“First of all, I was injured, and I couldn’t compete in many competitions. Both the SP and FS weren’t perfect in my opinion and I still have regrets and I have tremendous respect toward Plushenko-san. Beyond skating those programs at their complete form, I want to finish these programs without absolutely no regrets
(Change to component?)
I’ll change the component gradually, but for the SP, I’ll keep the same layout for this competition
(4Lz)
It depends on (this/next practice’s) condition, but for today, Salchow seems to be in better conditions. Anyway, I must return to my “competition mode”, do what I must do when competing and evaluate my sense/conditions step by step".


How did you spend your off-season?


“At first I sprained my left ankle before summer shows. Recovering was a bit troublesome, but it gets better. There was a lot of training to be done, but mainly, I trained to strengthen my ankle and torso". 


How about the (4)A?

“I was training it until 3 weeks ago. My sense of the jump is improving a little at a time, but I’ve not succeeded yet. I focused on training it until 3 weeks ago, but now I’m not, since I want to focus on this competition”


You’re also training the 4Lz?


"I’ll think about doing it, depending on the result, and my body conditions. (not clear where, maybe at ACI)"


You’re putting the (4)A in the FS?


“For now, it’s my goal for this season. Right now, even for that goal, however, I think I want to reach my satisfaction regarding layout/components first. I’ll move forward step by step".

Your feeling right now?


“It’s been a while, so I’m a little nervous”

The theme for this competition?


“For now, (maybe redeeming for) the last world championship plagued with injury. I don’t think the first competition of the season needs to be packed with (heavy) such things, but I feel like I did prepare myself properly for things that I should prepare for*. I want to test how they work at this competition firstly. Then, my priority is the strong wish to quickly bring my layout to completion".


You’ve decided these programs since last season?

“Well, I wasn’t sure, but it was a possible choice at the time. After all, I need time to heal my injury. Then, there’s still something incomplete. Something itchy. I thought that I wanted to finish those programs properly. The SP at Rostelecom was good imo, but I strongly feel like it wasn’t perfect. These two programs are emotionally significant to me, so I want to give those 2 people something great".


About your left ankle’s injury?

“I was practicing quint salchow, and my leg was “stuck” 
(Why were you practicing it?)
For the 4A, I need to increase my rotation force/speed, so I started practicing quints, but my right ankle’s condition wasn’t at its best, so there was a short while when I still took painkillers".

―5
回転は実際に降りた?
「いやいや。アクセルも降りられてないのに。降りれないです。そんな簡単に。(4回転フリップは?)フリップは降りてます。3回くらい降りてます。フリップアクセルとかも降りてます」

Have you landed quints?

“No no. I couldn’t land the axel yet, but... I haven’t landed them. It’s not that simple." 
4F?
I landed it about 3 times. I landed flip-axel(?).

How about incorporating the (4)F?

"I think I want to do it, but whether my flip can gain good score, and there's an uncertainty that the edge would be clear, so I think it's not necessary for me to push and incorporate it."


Right now, how are you feeling about this competition?

‘My feeling isn’t clear cut now. Maybe for me, it’s because of last season’s World Championship somehow. After WC, I had some“blank” time. Even from that time, I felt likethisseason hasalready started. Of course, I’m still joining ice shows, and there’re some businesses, but during all those times, the feelings from that competition (WC) keeps living on. In this competition I have strong urge to demonstrate the proper adjustment and the training I have prepared".