Mai Mihara-Canon 17-18 Season

“I want to aim for the next 4 years, and the next 8 years”
The season when she feels the importance of skating

Mihara Mai performed perfectly at the 4 Continents Championship, finished 2nd, stood on the podium with her childhood friend, Sakamoto Kaori. While supporting Sakamoto Kaori’s success, Mihara made a promise to herself to aim for the dream stage 4 years and 8 years later. She told her story of this season.

“1-2 finish” with Sakamoto Kaori will connect to next season’s growth.
Q:Firstly, congratulations on your 4CC silver medal
A:This time, I didn’t make any major mistake in both SP and FS, so I was very happy. This helped me become confident towards next season and beyond. About “1-2 finish with Kaori-chan”, in the send-off party before 4CC, everyone had encouraged us like that, so I was very happy that I could procure results that answered their expectation.

Q:You skated right after Sakamoto-senshu’s perfect FS. Were you nervous?
A:Since I skated right after her, I was in the hallway. I always practice with Kaori-chan, and know her layout, so when I heard the audience’s cheering at the 3-jump combo, I thought “Aaa, surely it’ll be no-miss”. Then when I entered the rink, I heard an amazing score, and I thought “Sasuga!(As expected/Indeed)”. The joy spread to me, but at the same time, my nervousness was loosened. There was encouragement for Kaori-chan, so I told myself to try my best once again. Thanks to Kaori-chan, Nakano-sensei, and everyone who cheered for me, I could deliver such a performance.

Q:Sakamoto-senshu and you both did guts pose consecutively 
A:When warming-up before the competition, I talked to Kaori about “guts pose mindset”. I said “Kaori-chan, go do a big big guts pose”, and Kaori-chan told me “Mai-chan, go do even an upgraded guts pose of your Cinderella’s guts pose last year”, so I try doing a bigger guts pose compared to last year’s. 

Q:Did the result at 4CC make up for your frustration at Japan Nationals?
A:No, not at all. Rather than that, I was grateful. I skatedwith the thought of sending my “Thank you” across, for being assigned to 4CC.

2ndsenior season, when everyone fights for themselves.
The “Congratulations” to Sakamoto-senshu.

Q:Mihara-san looks up to Asada Mao-san, and started skating in the 2ndyear of primary school, was that when you met Sakamoto-senshu?
A:Yes, when I met Kaori-chan, I was a beginner, so I was wearing warming pants, and rental skates. In the middle of the rink, there was a girl with bangs, wearing a white jacket and when she smiled her eyes seemed to disappear, and she spin really fast. “Her spin is so fast” was my first impression about Kaori-chan.

Q:Did you get along well after knowing each other?
A:Since I started skating, we were always together. My bloodtype is A, and Kaori-chan’s is B, so I don’t know if there’s good compatibility between us we laugh, speak…almost do everything at the same time. We usually went to international competition together. We never fight, and although there were some moments we got mad but after just a short while, we make up with each other “yahh It’s ok”.  I always think that it’s good that Kaori-chan is there.

Q:But Sakamoto-senshu (who’s so close to you), is also a rival of yours fighting for representing Japan at the Olympics. What kind of battle was that?
A:This is the Olympics season, but at the same time, my 2ndsenior season, so it is really important to me. It’s the “2ndyear jinx”. My 1styear in Senior went along smoothly, and I was clueless. I skated with a happy feeling, and my excitement was showing everywhere, but in my 2ndyear, the only thoughts in my head were “I want to skate better than last year”, “I want to perform well”, and I was nervous. The nerves aren’t clear-cut in my head but they just existed somewhere, and I was anxious. In this sport, mentality is very important, so I think I was affected.

Q:Beyond the battleto represent Japan at PC, you also fought against yourself.
A:Yes. I think firstly I need to perform well, and beyond that, I thought about the Olympics. Our sport strives to touch the heart of the audience, so I think it’s important the performance goes beyond competition standing. 

Q:You made mistakes in Japan National’s SP, you missed the representation list regrettably.
A:It was a frustrating performance. Beyond the fact that I couldn’t go to Pyeongchang, I was frustrated at myself for making mistakes in the SP.

Q:On the other hand, Sakamoto-senshu who worked hard besides you was short-listed. Did you have the slightest conflicts, or mixed feelings?
A:We have known each other since when we were little, and she performed perfectly in both SP and FS, so I was happy in a motherly way for her. We practice together, compete together, and thanks to Kaori-chan, I could be where I am now, and what I feel towards Kaori-chan rising up out there in the world was purely happiness. When the announcement for PC representatives came, I casted aside my “kuyashi-sa”, and I could think of nothing but my “Congratulations” to her.

Q:After announcing the representatives for the Olympics, they announced assignments to 4CC. How was you feeling when they call your name and Sakamoto-senshu’s name together?
A:When they called out both names, Kaori-chan told me “This is the 1stsenior competition I have with Mai-chan. I’m very happy. Let’s try our best together”, which lifted my spirit somehow. With my 5thplace finish at Japan nationals, I didn’t know where I would be dispatched to, so when I knew I was sent to 4CC, I was determined not to waste this chance.

Q:You managed to raise your motivation for 4CC?
A:Actually, after 4CC, it was really difficult for me to pull through. Including the GPS, I couldn’t perform perfectly in this season, and it was really a rough season. However, Nakano-sensei and Graham-sensei supported me, and Kaori-chan’s existence also helped me to refocus.

Watched over by Nakano-sensei’s “eye”
Motivated by Sakamoto-senshu

Q:How did Nakano-sensei support you?
A: I had a rough time after Japan National, and she stayed by my side in that period. Especially, in practice sessions, it seemed like she was looking over me with warm eyes. Of course, there were days when I was upset by the practice’s contents, but I skated with the gratitude towards that her caring for and keeping an eye on me. 

Q:Is Nakano-sensei’s existence similar to a mother’s?
A: It’s different from a motherly existence. She tends to point out and teaches us many things. She is really reliable, respectable, and doesn’t only compliment us kindly, but stands her ground firmly. She was the one who gives me powerful words in decisive moments.

Q:After Japan National, what did she tell you?
A:I missed out on the Olympics, but I was very happy that she told me “Let’s also aim for 5 years later, for the Olympics, and try your best”. I thought about the next Olympic, but I was told “Furthermore, aim for the next one even”. I also had straying thoughts like “How old will I be? Could I compete there?” but she also told me “We’re aiming for our goals one by one”. I could believe that there are still chances for me. I’m truly thankful to Nakano-sensei.

Q:Which aspect of Sakamoto-senshu encourages you?
A:Throughout this season, Kaori-chan was the one who supported me when I was downhearted. There were 2 special times when Kaori-chan saved me. After my flawed SP, she told me “You must bounce back in the FS”, and I was very happy, and was able to switched my mindset to “Let’s not give up and try my best in the FS”. Then, after Japan National, when we were working toward 4CC, “Let’s be on the podium together, and I want us to pour all our efforts to our one-two finish”, which cheered me up.

Q:Did you cheer for Sakamoto-senshu at the Olympics?
A:I wanted to come to the venue and cheer for her, but I need to avoid cold climate for the sake of saving my body’s conditions for next season’s practice, so I cheered for her in Japan. I watched the live broadcast on TV and supported her by sending my thoughts.

Q:Is the balance good between Nakano-sensei, Sakamoto-senshu, and you?
A:When Kaori-chan was acting funny, Nakano-sensei will nudge her, and I’ll just look and laugh. It feels like there are 2 chicks hiding behind a parent bird.

Asada Mao, who she admired then and now
“I want to continue skating as long as possible

Q:What do you want to achieve in the next 4 years?
A:The first thing is that I want to build a body that allows me to practice diligently. Kaori-chan can practice with ample stamina, so I want to have the stamina that comes close to that. I spend a lot of time on spins and steps, but Kaori-chan can jump so many times. 

Q:You have declared that you wanted to aim for the Olympics 4 years later.
A:The Olympics 4 years later is still far away. I want to level up as much as possible, and it’ll be nice if I could have good seasons. Regarding aiming for the Olympics 4 years later, this time at 4CC made a significant start.

Q:What kind of athlete do you want to become in the next 4 years?
A:I think that as you grow older, your stamina will be strengthened, and your experience will become richer too. Top active athletes have a great aura and could create great atmosphere, so I hope to become such an athlete.

Q:There are many athletes who shine even when they are older.
A:Since I started skating, I have looked up to Mao Asada. I still don't know how my skating life will turn out, but I want to continue skating as much as possible. I just love skating, so I hope for a healthy body to skate for a long time.

Q:How did you feel about this Olympic battle this season?
A:This was something I had never dreamed of since I was hospitalized two years ago. I am grateful for the last two years, thanks to which I met many opportunities and accumulated new experiences. This season, I was able to utilize of the opportunity of 4CC, and I think I was able to grow. This was a season when I could feel skating’s great importance to me.

Thank you. We are hopeful for your growth in the next 4 years.