Ice Jewels 10 Special Interview - Yuzuru Hanyu

Ice Jewels 10 Special Interview
Stay dedicated to skating and become stronger every day

Hanyu Yuzuru-senshu came back to competing after approximately 4 months at the World Championship organized in Saitama. There were regrets of missing out on the victory, but also performances that mesmerized numerous fans gathering at Saitama Super Arena. Having finished this competitive season, Hanyu-senshu reflected on now-retired Javier Fernandez-senshu and conveyed his ambition towards next season. 

Looking back at the 2018-2019 season
In Ice Jewels 9, you have written a message saying: “To be able to say [Tadaima] (I’m back) in front of everyone, I will come back stronger”, and after your FS at the World Championship, you have said that.

Hanyu(H): Actually, after the SP, I thought that it’d be nice if I could give a performance worthy of saying (Tadaima). I had strong feelings like in Pyeongchang. Since there were mistakes, I could not say “Tadaima”. That couldn’t be called “coming back stronger” after the short, so after I said “Taidaima” after my revenge free-skate. 

Hanyu-senshu surely demonstrated explosive strength in the decisive FS. In the practice session on the day of the free, you were at the rink’s side for a long time doing image training for the 4Lo, so how did the adjustment process go?

H: I reconfirmed my (jump)’s trajectory and form thoroughly. The last jump (on ice) wasn’t good, and in my mind, I couldn’t make sure that I had found the form I was aiming for, which somehow smudged my body’s image of good jumps. Actually, while (practicing) on the rink, I tried to project images of myself, and those images accumulated into my body movements. From practice sessions, I knew what I paid careful attention to, and that TV viewers and spectators might have thought that image training meant there was some uncertainty, but above all, I wanted to perform well. With the strong feeling that I would land the 4Lo, I did everything I could, and I was determined to conquer it when it matters. 

For you, how did the SP and FS grow as programs respectively?

H: I want to display the “Hanyu Yuzuru” in both the SP and FS. In the SP, I practiced with the idea of conveying“strong, beautiful, gorgeous” “just like how Johnny Weir-san (did)”, but I didn’t express my individual (version) of strength and vigor. For the FS, it wasn’t just the ordinary intimidation but I meant to juxtapose it against the SP’s distinct delicateness.

Even when busy competing in the height of the competitive season, you did enjoy adjusting movements of your hands, face, and choreography. Why did you like doing that?

H: It wasn’t that I “like” doing that. Every movement was essential to its music, and the programs themselves. For both the SP and FS, I want to give performances that include all the movements I want to incorporate and are just like how I skated them without jumps when getting them choreographed. There’s still a long way to reach completion.

You had broken the world records in both the SP and FS, and (your programs), we think, were highly evaluated even under the new scoring system, but what’s your opinion? Do you think the +-5 scoring system is advantageous?

H: From here on, I feel the need to concentrate on the kind of practice and methods that adhere to GOE5 system’s evaluation. I don’t only want to raise my jumps’ success rate but also the all-around completion as well. 

How is your right ankle doing?

H: Like in Pyeongchang, I can’t help but take pain-killers. The injury last time was in a different part, the pain was different, and so would the recovery speed. Usually, the best way is to leave it to heal. However, I think would continue practicing with the pain for quite some time. 

After the injury in November, how did you rehabilitate, and which kind of strengthening training did you do?

H: I receive care for the muscles around the injured area, ultrasound, infrasound, etc., rehabilitation treatment. I couldn’t say how grateful I am for the support during the whole process. Regarding strengthening training, I train the muscles around the injured area, and every effort, though little, is helpful towards building them up. 

Compared to last year, were there any changes in the content and quality of your reinforcement training?

H: There are big changes. We somehow managed to come up with separate approaches to every single kind of jump. 

From the process of the injury before Pyeongchang Olympics, is there anything you can make use of for this time’s injury?

H:  I think I’m prepared to resolve the frustration arising from setbacks in training progress. It was also necessary for me to try to think that this injury was similar to the previous one while recovering. Plus, I can sustain my desire towards training and exercising thanks to the knowledge that I had won over those difficulties.

We know that you have received many questions about your result at the World Championship, but we wish to hear a clear-cut answer. 

H: Up till now, I’ve had various competing experiences, and this time, I was too fixated on how to utilize those (experiences) properly. 

For the SP’s salchow or the 6-minute warm-up, I wanted to put my plans to work, but that wasn’t the right method, and it didn’t seem like the best thing to do. From various experiences, there are many things to learn, but I feel like it’s critical to pick and choose the best thing. I was taught the importance of not only learning from the past but also focusing on the present.

Was it exciting competing with Nathan Chen-senshu?

H: Yes, that was fun. I can feel the joy of figure skating as a sport again. We competed against each other with all our heart and soul, and beyond that, I could feel the real thrill of sports: determining victory and defeat. I also thought that it would be bad if I remain the same.

You have said you wanted to become stronger, and for that sake, what do you want to do?

H: I want to practice. I want to find out what are the best things, what kinds of practice are important. I want to use my head and body to their full capacity, and I will devote my effort towards the next competition.

You have said that Nathan Chen-senshu was “kakkoi”, do you take any reference of his jumps?

H: I’ve noted that (his) jumping axis is really good. I’ve talked about certain experiences with artistic gymnast(s), but I can only do a jump if I can familiarize with those experiences and use them on my body. This is also an opportunity to find out my own weaknesses. Knowing how to control mentality, use the head well, and beyond that, having solid techniques, so I think (Nathan) is a very strong athlete, and frankly, I think he is really cool.

Regarding competitive motivation, did you return to pre-Pyeongchang’s state?

H: I don’t feel like I returned to the state before Pyeongchang at all. Instead, there are new sources of motivation, and I have a strong desire to master new quad jumps.  

New motivation? Could you please elaborate on that?

H: My motivation to win at Pyeongchang was to win with perfect performances while maintaining my attention to all elements. At the present, my devotion to skating, and my dedication is on another level compared to pre-Sochi. (Since then), I already had the hunger for new challenges. 

Now, the new motivation is to focus on my skating, enjoy doing new things and beyond that, those and things that I haven’t been able to do yet will be of great importance towards my (future) victory. That’s why I think my present motivation is different.

After Pyeongchang, I said that I want to jump the 4A in interviews: “My former coach, Tsuzuki-sensei wants me to do it, and many people have hope in me, so I want to show it.”

However it wasn’t of any soft feelings towards anyone, not those gentle thoughts, but purely because I want to win against myself, I have a strong and concrete intention to jump it. I’m building plans for the 4A, and there are many things I want to do. I’m really enjoying it. I’m strong when being backed into a corner. That is the ideal opportunity for me to grow, and I love it more than anything. 

Could you please tell us about your attachment with edge jumps, and for your plans of acquiring new quads, how are you advancing them?

H: I have strong edge jumps, and their unique flow, rotation, and technique enthrall me. I think that we don’t need to call it “attachment”. I love all jumps, enjoy the nice feeling when the rotation axis is beautiful and the jump is landed on ice with no pre-rotation. Again, I can feel that I really love jumping.

I want to acquire new jumps as soon as possible. Of course, I will practice, but since my risk of injury has become higher than usual, there might be certain things that I couldn’t do. Nevertheless, I now have goals that I must realize regardless of the risks, so I may continue to be a nuisance to everyone (make everyone worry) (Laugh).

The 1st 3A recorded by ISU was of Vern Taylor-senshu, who was also affiliated with the Toronto Cricket Club, and your coach Brian Orser is also called “Mr. Triple Axel”. We think there are “coincidental” relations with the axel jump around Hanyu-senshu. Have you watched their videos?

H: I haven’t watched their videos, but I’m grateful for that “fateful connection”. I think breaking new ground with the 4A is within the domain of things I must do. Turning back to the basics, I want to properly reinforce my axel’s foundation.

On Javier Fernandez 

For Hanyu-senshu, what kind of existence is Javier Fernandez-senshu?

H: Since long ago, Javi has been a senpai that I could learn from. Until now, I’m relieved that I could meet him. He is an important person, an amazing athlete, someone that constantly gets my back. Because there is Javi, I could become stronger up to this moment.

What memories of practicing and competing with Javier Fernandez-senshu do you have?

H: In the public practice of Pyeongchang Olympics, when we practiced skating together, it felt like we were pulling each other through with skating so I was very happy. My skating style and Javi’s are completely different, but that didn’t matter at all I purely enjoy spending time just naturally skating together. 

How were your final days of practicing (with Javier)?

H: Before the European Championship, his jumps didn’t come back at all, so I’m extremely worried. At that time I wasn’t able to skate properly, so we couldn’t practice jumps together, and it was frustrating. Close to the European championship, I saw that his jumps were improving, and I was very happy, but at the same time, I clearly know that soon, there will be no moment like these at the Cricket Club. Being able to skate together for a little more, and having so many things to catch up with Javi made me really happy. To be honest, I wished that these special moments could just continue forever. (laugh)

Do you have any expectations for Javier-senshu?

H: About leaving competitive skating as a top skater, I think there are many things to say, and I also read his interviews. He is basically a very kind person, so he cares for the figure skating world, brings up many things, and only he can help popularize figure skating in Spain. I want to send my encouragement “Ganbare”, and that I’m willing to give him a hand if he needs me to someday. 

Life in Toronto

How do you make use of your time for practice and study, etc.? Can you describe 1 typical day of yours?

H: I wake up, weigh my body, stretch, relax my body then go to practice. After receiving body care, I nap, before eating, then I’ll study. When I’ve settled after studying and eating, I train. In weeks when I have a lot of schoolwork and tests, I’m busy with studying even after training until before sleeping at night. 

In daily life, is there any regulation you have to adhere to as an athlete? Do you have any routine to follow?

H: Not really. Before competitions, I control my diet’s contents and try to eat food that is beneficial to my body. I’m so used to that now, and even for snacks and supplements, I take them while paying attention to my body. However, it’s not that simple. I don’t want to get injured by any means, so I have to spend a lot of time stretching and massage. If there is a day-off, I will contemplate if there is anything I can do to make the training session on the following day more efficient, and then there will be even more to think about. 

Compared to when you’re at competitions, does being in Toronto help you focus better?

H: I can practice with a proper time-table and spend my days with no excessive attention around me. Also, I don’t really understand what people are talking about so it all seems like music (Laugh). I haven’t managed to listen to and understand English well, so surely I must study more seriously (laugh). There are a lot of Asian people in Toronto, and many languages are spoken here, so it’s nice that I, a Japanese, don’t really stand out.

You’re so busy with training and studying, what do you do to relax in your free time?

H: I only have some off-time after finishing training for a day (laugh). I usually allow myself to do things that I like for a short time, and in those moments, my mentality can recover for the following practice session.

Please let us know your resolutions for next season.

H: There are still many aspects that I’m still lacking now, and improving my technique and stamina will be of great importance. There’s much room for me to grow, and I want to go on with positive feelings. I will stay dedicated to skating every day and become stronger. 

The end.